STUDENTS SHOULD FRIEND THEIR TEACHERS ON SOCIAL MEDIA (A:HUN/ N:LTV)

Home Forums Debate Forum STUDENTS SHOULD FRIEND THEIR TEACHERS ON SOCIAL MEDIA (A:HUN/ N:LTV)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andromachi Pantazi 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

SPEECHES

Anna Kovacs
    Participant

AFFIRMATIVE: SPEAKER 1
    As the first speaker of the affirmative team, I agree that students should friend their teachers on social media.
    First of all, we want to make it clear what we mean by social media. We would like to narrow down the resolution to Facebook, because nowadays youngsters mostly use this site and if you want to FRIEND someone you can only do this on Facebook. We will mention three main arguments.
    Firstly, if teachers are friends with their students, they can pay more attention to them. If the teacher gets to know the students’ cultural or family background through pictures and posts, it will be easier to teach them. Another example is if the teachers see that a student posts weird and frightening pictures or comments (which they can only see when they are friends on Facebook), they can inform the parents or help the students themselves.
    Secondly, Facebook makes communication easier. According to Pew Research Center, already in September 2012, 95% of teens were online and 81% used social networking sites. This could only grow since then, so it is understandable that technology is a convenient way for teachers to connect with students: share information, give daily tasks, post interesting articles, etc. Teens check their Facebook more often than their email accounts so communication is more efficient this way. This is good for students, too, because they can learn how to communicate in a sophisticated way with adults and be polite. In addition, our second speaker is going to mention some benefits of online learning and reaching someone on Facebook instead of phone.
    Thirdly, teachers can be a positive influence in teenagers’ lives, and they can show a positive example through their consciously selected posts on Facebook. Besides being a role model, they can teach correct online behavior.
    Thank you!
    (301)

Arnis Cimermanis
    Participant

Thank you for your speech. I would like to ask you my questtion.
    Do you think that some students may feel uncomfortable or embarrassed if teachers can see what they do on social media and what sort of comments the leave?

Anna Kovacs
    Participant

Thank you. Firstly, to be friends with your teachers on Facebook is a great opportunity to acquire conscious online behaviour. Paying more attention what to show and what don’t. Secondly there’s a privacy setting on Facebook where you can control who can see your activity. So if you don’t want your teachers to see your comments or posts you don’t have to make a big effort, it’s just a “click” and it’s done. This way you can avoid all these embarrassing moments.

Arnis Cimermanis
    Participant

NEGATIVE SPEAKER 1.

I went through you speech and noticed some things that I don’t agree with. Firstly we you can’t narrow down social media to just Facebook there are multiple more sites such as snapchat, instagramm, twitter. Social media i so huge and facebook is just a part of this. You metion that this is a way to teach students better if they know you cultural background and I believe that doesn’t change a thing. For example if your biology or mats teacher knows you cultural background she wil still keep teaching you math or biology it doesn’t matter if you come from India, Japan or Russia. Secondly you sad that teachers can report to parent if the student posts strande and unusual photos or posts. Ofcourse students will post weird stuff from time to time it is just how it is no students posts will allways have perfect grammer we will often post strange things that our freinds only understand. In your aswer to my question you sad that you can set things to private from teacheers and they won’t se it then whats the point of having them as your feinds if they can’t see your posts it is counterintuitive. Also you mention that it is an easy way to communicate to some extent that is true but why should we use facebook or twitter or snapchat when we can use apps that are specificly designed for this example: whatsapp it is much easier and efficient u use those.
    And finnaly i would just like to summerise. Not every post, tweet, snap will be gramaticaly correct, sutable for the general public and having your teachers on your social media will limit what you can say and post.

words: 301

Luca Vajda
    Participant

Thank you for your speech. What do you think about the teacher’s role in a student’s development ? Should the teachers just teach their subjects or help the students in different areas of life too?

Arnis Cimermanis
    Participant

Ofcorse they help student develop but not through social media, they supportus through knowlage and eperiance they share with us. In teir jobs they are professionals but in their free time they can do what ever the want. Asking your teacher for help on social media is the same as trying to read a book from a computer screen there is no emotion between the both you need interaction between them. A teacher can not explain things on social media as well as in person.

Melinda Tapai
    Participant

As the second speaker of the affermative team I would like to respond to your answer. You admitted that the teachers should have emotional interactions with the students, for which they need to know the students’ background. However, in an average school the usual number of students is above 500. So the tearcher cannot be personally interactive with each of them. And it would also take their free time but if the teacher checks their Facebook, she or he gets information about their circumstances (we mean it in a positive way, for example if someone practises a sport professionally) and personality which does not only include their national origin. Besides, there is a generation gap between teachers and students, and social media gives an opportunity to bridge this gap.
    To reflect to the definition, we chose Facebook because it is popular worlwide and the only website in which you can FRIEND someone.
    As for online learning, besides sharing their knowledge and experience, teachers can help students by posting interesting articles, resources and videos connected to their subject. Therefore, we state that social media is a plus for students to learn and memorize things better.
    We would like to go on with our first argument about paying attention toward the students. We are sure that the teacher can realize the difference between frightening and just simply weird posts and pictures and warn the parents, or the students him/herself, if it is necessary. And just like later in someone’s life, the students have to start taking responsibility for their acts. Being friends with their teachers makes them express themselves in a way they will not regret it for the rest of their life. If the student makes his or her post private that means he or she learnt how to use Facebook consciously and safely.
    Thank you!
    (305)

Arnis Cimermanis
    Participant

Thank you for your speech.I wanted to ask do you think that a stuent an get an EMOTIONAL experiance as you sad through social media where the best way to express emotions is by using emojis?

Melinda Tapai
    Participant

Thank you for your question.
    Yes of course, because there are many ways to share our emotions. For example if you read a book you can get emotional experiences without emojis. But if we talk about easier ways of communication and sharing information, the most important thing is not the emotional experience. And when I talk about information I talk about getting to know the students and their personality.

(69)

Roberts Raismans
    Participant

NEGATIVE SPEAKER 2

Let’s say that we agree with A team that FaceBook is the only place where you can friend someone. Even if that means that some of your so called “friends” are not allowed to see your posts- such a good friendship. But let us explain why students should not friend their teachers on social media. We are talking about common sense privacy and professional boundaries. Do all teachers think to themselves before they post a picture of weekend parties or make comments: “what will my 7th grade students think about this?” In today’s complicated world, it seems more and more that teachers are crossing boundaries with students. Besides, no one is controlling teacher actions in websites like this, because every single teacher outside school is same casual person as we are. However, not a day goes by that we don’t see a news story about a teacher, coach, or other trusted adult molesting, sexting, or using other inappropriate avenues to get close with a student through technology. We do not say that teachers should not pay more attention to their students. There are plenty of options online for today’s teachers to reach out to their students without crossing professional boundaries or perhaps mistakenly showing favoritism. Teachers creating a class website that reaches out to the whole class, including parents, can be an effective form of communication and have tremendous benefit to children. By adding teacher on “friend list” we won’t change the fact that students and teachers have different view on world. In our conclusion- if teachers want to know situation in their students lifes, know their family etc. they should friend their students parents instead. It would be more professional. Students should interact with their teachers in real life conversations- learn real life social skills.

(299)

Anna Kovacs
    Participant

Thank you for your arguments,
    What makes the teacher-student conversation less professional on social media, where they both have time, than in real life if the interests and the topics are the same as in person?

Roberts Raismans
    Participant

I see your question!
    But students want to use social media for socializing, not as an extended classroom, because firstly- social media is NOT profesional environment. Social media is not about conversations- for this we have e-mails or schools e-registers. Students should be taught that in future they will have to work and have businesslike conversations with work partners and that they cant talk about their profesional life in FaceBook comments or by chatting with emojis.
    (76)

Luca Vajda
    Participant

AFFRIRMATIVE SPEAKER 3
    Thank you. I’d like to react to some of your arguments.
    You said that molestation and sexting is easier on Facebook. Obviously, but it also makes it easier for the victim to prove the molestation with photos and texts. Of course we hear terrifying stories, but it’s partly because they have been found out, while in act, sexual harassment is hard to prove.
    Now about privacy. I think we both agree that a teacher is a responsible, well-educated person, from whom the students can learn a lot. Then why do you believe they have the urge to post embarrassing pictures when friends with their students?
    We also think a Facebook group is much better for communication than a website, which you have to check separately, while Facebook can keep you updated all the time.
    All in all, we support the resolution because friending teachers on Facebook helps us get more attention, communicate more efficiently, extend our knowledge and learn conscious online behaviour.
    Social media is a modern plus. Just like in a debate we are not there to convince each other but to learn how to prepare a whole opinion, know the issue from both sides.
    Thank you for this debate!
    (201)

Kristiana Libiete
    Participant

NEGATIVE SPEAKER 3
    Thank you for all of your speeches and I would like to conclude this debate.
    I noticed that you manily based your case on the fact that students learn how to have sophisticated conversations and that social media is as profesional as meeting a techer face to face but as our 2nd speaker noted: students want to use social media for socializing, not as an extended classroom, because firstly- social media is NOT profesional environment.
    You also mentioned sexual harrasment can be easily found out and reported but why take the cahnce in the first place if there are safer alternatives there is no reason for a sitiuation like that to happen.
    In general i woulld like to say that it serves no benefits if you have teachers as your freinds on facebook or any other social media. You can chat or share information in many different ways, neither student nor teachers want to extend the classroom any more in to there free time that can be spent in different ways, and no matter what facebook which you based your entire case on is nor ever will be a proffesional environment. All in all we still support that techer should not freind their techers on social media.
    Thank you.

words: 216

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Debate Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.